Summer Wilderness Running and Hiking
This is the best way to see some of Vancouver Island’s most spectacular forests, mountains, lakes, rivers and ocean-front. All you need is some endurance, a good pair of grippy trail running shoes, and a backpack with a jacket, 2l of water and food. The trip leaders will do the navigating.
There are at least two distances available at each of these Harriers runs and hikes. Typically there are two running pace groups and one hiking group. Total running time is 3-5 hours.
- May 11: Spaghetti Trees Run. 10km or 18km loop of East Sooke Park (piggy-backing on the Club Fat Ass event). Meet at Helmcken Park and Ride at 8am.
- June 8: Mount Empress. Run in the Sooke Hills, up Empress with optional swims. Distance approx 20km. Meet at Helmcken Park and Ride at 8am.
- July 13: Mount Benson - Run up Mount Benson in Nanaimo. Distance approx 25km. Meet at Helmcken Park and Ride at 8am.
- August 11: The Pig + Salmon Invitational - Strathcona Park. To be invited runners must have attended (and survived) at least one of the previous three runs. The peak, route, times will only be available to participants after the July run. This is the day after the Mount Washington Gutbuster, so you can combine the trip. Group accommodation will be arranged.
- September 15: Final run if there is sufficient interest. Location TBD.
Separate wilderness hikes of a slightly shorter distance between 5km and 10 km can be included as part of our club's Harriers Hounds Hikes coordinated by Bob Reid. He will notify the dog owners separately from the running group and the hikers with canines will arrange for their own transportation to and from the site.